Don’t be mad at God: Remembering my best friend - 1 Thessalonians 4

1 Thessalonians 4 - The Hope of the Resurrection 13 And now, dear brothers and sisters, we want you to know what will happen to the believers who have died so you will not grieve like people who have no hope. 14 For since we believe that Jesus died and was raised to life again, we also believe that when Jesus returns, God will bring back with him the believers who have died.
15 We tell you this directly from the Lord: We who are still living when the Lord returns will not meet him ahead of those who have died. 16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. 17 Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Then we will be with the Lord forever. 18 So encourage each other with these words.

She would be 55 today - July 20, 2011. My best friend’s unexpected death in 2000 changed my life forever. We grew up together -- in the neighborhood. We shared joys and sorrows -- weddings, funerals, graduations, birthdays -- those unforgettable life events that tie the strings of our hearts together. She was especially close to my daughter. But of all the memories I have of our friendship, I remember how peaceful she was about dying.

She passed away during the years I wasn’t walking in God’s truth and light. Sure I called myself a Christian, but – honestly – I didn't have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. When I found out about her illness, I got mad at God. I couldn’t understand how she could become terminally ill so fast. How could God allow her to die? I’ll never forget one of the last evenings we spent together. She cringed when she heard me rant about God…She was at peace with the Lord and she wanted me to be okay. I wasn’t at peace for many years...

Now as I look back, I remember those final weeks we spent together. We talked about the details of our long, close friendship and the special times we shared. I had a chance to tell her that she was the best friend anyone could ever have and that I loved her. She shared the same with me. Her greatest regret was that she would not be around for her two daughters. She loved her girls. She was especially sad that she would not be around to see her precious grandchildren grow up.

Yes – my life changed. Even now – more than a decade later, each time I have to make a big decision or when I need to talk without measuring my words or explaining details, I miss my best friend - forever. But it’s so awesome to realize that she had that most important relationship with the Lord - she knew him.

She was ready to meet him in person.

Comments

  1. Heaven's not that far away. Prayers for you and your mom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Divine Devotions: The test really is simple

If not you, then who? 2 Corinthians 4:1

Following Jesus is for sinners, unbelievers and those who aren't perfect. – Matthew 9:13