Try being honest with God immediately - Leviticus 19:18

May 28, 2011
Leviticus 19:18 (GW) "Never get revenge. Never hold a grudge against any of your people. Instead, love your neighbor as you love yourself. I am the LORD."

Last night I had one of those discussions with my college-age daughter, and she said to me, “Don’t come at me side-ways.” I am convicted because many times I don’t handle parenting in a direct way. Instead, I get irritated because she doesn’t “read my mind.” You can probably relate.

I am learning to deal with my shortcomings by using God’s word and his promptings in my spirit.

My usual method of parenting was typically best described as: “I am the grown up; I have been there and I know best.” But many times I don’t know best, even when I think that I do. And, I tend to react with my old habits.

Many of us have old habits that God changes as we do life in his power. The "Christianese" name for it is “sanctification.” It’s a lifetime process, but awareness is available when we desire to know the heart of God. Knowing the heart of God means being open to dealing with the things we prefer to hide in the closet.

We all have too much baggage stuffed in our closets and God will help us deal with it. Being real with God allows us to be real with others. The challenge is to catch ourselves before falling back to old behaviors.  Revamping our behavior (or issues) gets easier as our intimacy with God grows.

My wisdom words
Try being honest with God immediatelyconfess. Then you can start living an authentic, purpose-filled life.  

It makes you an effective parent and a better person. 

Amen!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Divine Devotions: The test really is simple

Following Jesus is for sinners, unbelievers and those who aren't perfect. – Matthew 9:13

Why I write this blog