Getting the things done you’d rather not do


My Word for 2014 – DO!

Be prepared for the sunset of your life. 

For this month’s DO blog post, I’d like to share a very important DO that I accomplished:  I got my personal and business affairs in order!

Sometimes you have to do things you’d rather not do like prepare a will, and pull all the important financial and legal information together that your loved ones need for the day that your earthly dash date arrives and your time is up.

Most of us prefer not to consider the possibility, especially if we’re young, healthy and invincible.

But I’m proud to say that my “do” goal, 52-week decluttering project and information from a professional development seminar helped me put my affairs in order, so I’ll share resources I found helpful.

TED TalkPrepare for a good end of life
I watched this short
 speech by Judy MacDonald Johnston at a conference earlier this year and was inspired to get my life plans in order as part of my do goal.

GoodEndofLife.com
Judy’s website is by far the best and simplest resource I've seen on the topic of getting your stuff together so you can die in peace and leave peace in your family. She provides simple documents to help you answer questions about how you want the life you worked so hard for to end well. Life will end, go out well!

You must have a will
This month I realized that I needed to update the will that I had drawn up through LegalZoom.com years ago. It was outdated. Have a will drawn up; use your attorney friends, friends of friends or go online, get it done or update it and rest easy.

End of life directives
I set up medical directives for hospital and non-hospital settings, which includes medical power of attorney and life support directives, and had friends sign/witness the documents. I also discussed this at length with family and friends so there’s no question about what I want. 

It has been a life-changing month for me in many ways, and I’m happy to report that my wishes will be known by my loved ones on the day my dash arrives. Hope you get inspired to get prepared too!

Please share your favorite resources on this topic in the comments section. I’d like to know how you are prepared.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Divine Devotions: The test really is simple

Why I write this blog

The 3 best days of my life - so far. Based on Acts 17:27