In case of an emergency, leave all your carry-on items behind – 1 Timothy 6:6-7

June 10, 2011
1 Timothy 6:6 Serving God does make us very rich, if we are satisfied with what we have. 7 We brought nothing into the world, so we can take nothing out.


I put my life and belongings in the hands of strangers who make me uncomfortable when I fly. I don’t like traveling by airplane – I never have, and I never will. But I attended a professional conference in Chicago earlier this week, so I had no choice.

While these strangers are in charge of my comfort and getting me to my destination, they also paint a scary picture. And, it’s all in the name of doing their job! They insist that passengers watch a video, but of course, most of us act like we’re ignoring it. I tried to ignore it until I heard these words, “In the event of a water landing…”  What? A water landing?  I do not know how to swim! I tried to pull the terrible thoughts from my mind…

But the real discomfort began when I heard these words: “In case of an emergency, leave all your carry-on items behind!”  What?  I am not leaving my laptop, Blackberry, two cute outfits and not to even speak the thought – my shoes and favorite costume jewelry behind! I love my shoes and my fake jewels! 

Then I settled down and the Lord directed me to the Scripture (1 Timothy 6:7).  I was born with nothing and I will leave with nothing. God taught me a lesson 40,000 feet in the air: I am rich by knowing him. The stuff that I have will go away, but I will remain extremely rich.

My life belongs in God’s hands.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Divine Devotions: The test really is simple

If not you, then who? 2 Corinthians 4:1

Following Jesus is for sinners, unbelievers and those who aren't perfect. – Matthew 9:13