Why God may not go on your journey - Exodus 33:3



Exodus 33
1 The Lord said to Moses, “Lead these people you brought from Egypt to the land I promised Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; for I said, ‘I will give this land to your descendants.’ 2 I will send an Angel before you to drive out the Canaanites, Amorites, Hittites, Perizzites, Hivites, and Jebusites. 3 It is a land ‘flowing with milk and honey’; but I will not travel among you, for you are a stubborn, unruly people, and I would be tempted to destroy you along the way.”

Even the chosen go astray.  God’s chosen people decided that they had had enough. They were tired of the desert experience; they were tired of doing as God commanded, they were tired of waiting for the land of milk and honey so they decided to do life on their own.  

These Scriptures are so relevant for our times today. God sets rules. We break them:

·       We say it’s fine for two men or two women to be married
·       We’re fine with redefining marriage and in the process the entire fabric of how a family was established by God
·       We’re fine with the degrading images our child see as entertainment
·       The list is endless...

Oh, and if people decide they will not worship the golden calf, they will be verbally stoned and ostracized.  Our country continues to redefine itself: equality for all, marriage with whoever suits your fancy.

Oh God, forgive us!

Even the religious are going along with the madness!  Even leaders go astray. Look at Aaron who succumbed to pressure. He pacified the crowd probably to save his own skin.  It’s not popular to destroy peoples’ personal happiness!  Why should we deny happiness to two men or two women who love each other? Anyone who opposes same sex marriage is an ogre, a horrible Christian.  The attempt is made to make us seem like we are judging and not loving.

But it’s just the opposite:
John 14:21
The one who loves Me will do the things I have commanded. My Father loves everyone who loves Me; and I will love you and reveal My heart, will, and nature to you. 

Refusing to go along with sin isn't the issue. Our love for others isn't the issue. 

People refuse to understand that God makes the laws. We don’t.

I want God’s presence to go with me! I don’t want Him to reject me because I wanted to be part of golden calf festivities and the popular culture. 

Don’t be surprised when you stop sensing the presence of God in your life. He can decide not to go along.

Don’t find yourself alone in the land of milk and honey.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Divine Devotions: The test really is simple

Why I write this blog

Following Jesus is for sinners, unbelievers and those who aren't perfect. – Matthew 9:13